Dyeing Silk With Walnuts

While I was dyeing some cheviot with dye from walnuts I decided to throw a few silk hankies in to the dye bath too.

Silk Dyed With Walnuts

Modifiers I used were cream of tartar, iron, citric acid, and soda ash to get the different colours. I have to say I am pleased with all the colours.

Here are the results from using a cheviot combed top as well.

OAQFF Walnut Dyed Cheviot

I used all the same modifiers as listed above. I don’t plan on spinning these colours all into one skein of handspun yarn but they would look nice in a Fade colour scheme.

For the silk, I think I would knit with the silk and not spin it beforehand. To do this you put your fingers into the middle of the hankie and pull it apart till it breaks.

Then you keep pulling till you get the desired width of silk you want to knit with. To store the silk I wind the silk around a toilet paper roll.

Now I am all set to start knitting with it. A shawl made from silk will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer; one knitted garment you can wear all year round.

Cheers

Keli

Results Are In!

OAQFF HAND DYED COMBED TOP

When I first saw results from black hollyhocks, I was disappointed because I thought the results resembled my lupin experiment. Boy, was I wrong!

Look at the difference! Lipin results cast more of a yellow, and hollyhocks cast more of a peach colour. I have to say my two favourites so far are butter yellow from lupins and mushroom taupe from hollyhocks.

Next week I will be dyeing with an extract to make all these colours pop. Click the Follow button to get a notification as I can’t tell you right now what day that will be.

Cheers

Keli