I had tried to dye combed top last summer with plants and plant extracts but found it too labour intensive for the amount of fibre I needed to sell and decided to end my experiments.
However, all that rational thought process disappeared when I saw Robin from sitsnspins on Instagram solar dyeing fibre yesterday. I had some combed top and plenty of dyers coreopsis, so I decided to solar dye some superwash merino/bamboo/nylon. Here is a video I created.
I put an elastic band around to create a resistance as I will also overdye the combed top. Not sure with what yet. Here is picture of what the glass jars looked like this afternoon.
The bottom jar had a mixture of ground cochineal and nasturtiums. The top jar had fresh coreopsis on the bottom only.
Check back tomorrow night and see what they look like. I can’t wait either. If you would rather dye yarn with flowers I have a beginner’s dye kit available as well.